Nominees for the UC Davis CREATE-IGERT Traineeships must be:
- A US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Enrolled and in good academic standing in one of the following UC Davis PhD programs or graduate groups:
- Enrolled in the Designated Emphasis in Biotechnology (DEB) program for PhD students
- Conducting research in the laboratory of one or more CREATE-IGERT faculty trainers/mentors
- Have a research project with direct relevance and/or potential application to one of the three CREATE focus areas:
- Biofuels and Biorefineries
- Plant-Made Products
- Environmental Sustainability
- In their first, second or third year as a PhD student (note 2nd and 3rd year students must be current members of the DEB, progressing toward completion of all DEB academic requirements)
CREATE-IGERT faculty trainers will play a key role in recruiting and nominating student trainees. As stated in #4 above, funded students must be conducting research in one of the twenty CREATE-IGERT faculty trainer laboratories.
Annually, a two phase approach to funding trainees will be taken:
Phase I—(February-March) A faculty trainer may nominate a prospective first year graduate student during the graduate program recruitment period. The CREATE-IGERT executive committee will review nominations for funding and provide nominating faculty with an offer letter for accepted trainees before “decision day”.
Phase II—(October-November) A call for student nominations will be announced to faculty trainers and DEB students in September. Students interested in applying will work with a faculty trainer to complete and sign off on the application. Faculty trainers must also submit a separate letter of nomination for the student.
Download the 2010-2011 CREATE-IGERT Traineeship Application (Requires the free Adobe Reader.)
When filling out the application, note that the form fields will not “save” entered text. In order to save an electronic version of the application, students should copy, paste and save form field text to a separate word processing document. Once the application cover page and form has been completed, please print and submit, along with the faculty letter of nomination, to the Biotechnology Program office (301 Life Sciences, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616).
If mailing the application, send to:
Dr. Denneal Jamison-McClung
301 Life Sciences
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
For full consideration, 2010-2011 CREATE-IGERT applications (both mailed and hand-delivered) must be received before noon on Friday, November 12, 2010.
Questions regarding the application process should be directed to Dr. Denneal Jamison-McClung, or call 752-5090 (office) or 752-3260 (Biotech Program).
Note: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.